From staying at home, to slaying at home…
Recent search analysis, sales data and active page views by fashion and beauty search platform Goxip, across it’s 36,000 brands and 5 million products, reveals ‘staycation style’, (spotted on the likes of Bella Hadid, Dua Lipa and Jessica Alba), is at the height of fashion this summer.
It’s that time of the year where sun hats, kaftans and beach shorts make their debut, but summer as we know it hasn’t quite been as we would have expected, with exotic escapes and travel abroad taking a backseat. Instead online shopping behaviour is showing us the items trending for home stay holiday wear.
Here are the biggest styles and items that have been in most demand for the perfect ‘slaycation’ staycation outfits everywhere:
9:00 AM: SPIN CLASS
Exercising still remains a priority amongst staycationers, with activewear searches increasing 52% globally in the last 3 months.
- Goxip search analysis shows a surge in demand for matching sportswear sets, specifically tie-dye print sets and multi coloured shades.
- Searches for ‘P.E Nation’ rose 51% in the following 48 hours after Jessica Alba sported a matching set by the brand on the 30th of June, 2020.
- In addition, the most searched for brands alongside P.E Nation are ‘Alo Yoga, Varley and Girlfriend Collective‘.
12:00 PM: BACK 2 BASICS FOR BRUNCH
Post workout fuel calls for an outfit change. Silk and sheer dresses are the perfect lightweight essential for summer and we’re not the only ones who think so.
- Searches for ‘satin, silk and sheer dresses’ collectively have increased 22% in the last month.
- The week after Bella Hadid shared a candid photo of herself on Instagram debuting the ‘Tank Air White Hand Painted – Sheer Silk Dress’ in June 2020, searches for the brand increased 31%, whilst the exact item name garnered a 73% increase in searches.
- The most wanted silk and sheer dresses this month are by ‘Nanushka’ and ‘Helmut Lang’ particularly for ‘neutral tones’.
3:00 PM: GOLDEN HOUR
Catch a glimpse of these in the sun. Gold Jewellery has become a cult favourite, as searches for chunky hoops and gold necklaces with semi precious stones have had a spike in demand. Currently gold jewellery is searched 4 times more than silver and 7 times more than rose gold.
- ‘Chunky gold hoops’ and ‘large gold hoops’ are leading the gold jewellery trend, followed by chunky chain necklaces.
- Other gold trending pieces include pearled and semi precious stone embellished items.
- The most sought after brands are ‘Missoma, Mejuri, Aligheri, Otiumberg and Astrid and Miyu’.
6:00 PM: SUNSET SWIM
Take a deep dive into the favoured pieces of swimwear this season. Despite the waves being out of reach for some, people all over Instagram have been spotted wearing their swimwear in the comfort of their own gardens and balconies and searches for one and two piece swimsuits are at an all time high.
- Vibrant printed styles including leopard, checked, polka dot and floral are the most wanted. Even all one colour choices are bolder and more vibrant this year with searches for swimwear items alongside ‘bright’ and ‘neon’ up 18% since last month.
- We’ve also seen demand for fabric driven searches., with ‘crochet’, ‘ribbed’, and ‘seersucker’ hitting our search bar more often, with searches collectively up 11% week on week.
- Searches for ‘crochet bikinis’ increased 67% in the following 48 hours after Dua Lipa flaunted the ‘GCDS Care Bears Bikini’ on her Instagram, June 30th, 2020. Other popular crochet bikini brands include ‘Calvin Klein, Hunza G and Toteme’.
9:00 PM: SUIT UP
Ditch that dress, and grab that suit. Searches for matching co-ords have shown us that many have swapped the traditional cocktail dress for a two piece set instead, with searches for women’s suits up 61% compared to this time last year.
- In particular, ‘neutral toned’ suits are catching shopper’s interest. The most popular colours include beige, white and black suit sets.
- Some of the most popular pieces are from Acne Studios, Lemaire and The Row.
11:00 PM: SILK SETS FOR SLEEPWEAR
Silk Pajamas have become one of the most wanted snazzy sleepwear items for staycation snaps this summer. However the fiber has been dominating more than just the sleepwear category with an increase in demand for silk dresses and silk scarves too.
- Results for ‘white silk pajamas’ and ‘white satin pajamas’ collectively increased 42%, in the following 48 hours after Rosie Huntington Whiteley shared a selfie in the ‘Michael Lo Sordo’ White Silk Satin Pajama Set’ whilst on Staycation at home.
- The most popular brands are ‘Agent Provocateur’, ‘Olivia Von Halle’ and ‘La Perla’.
- Side note: Celebrities such as Zendaya, Rihanna, and Kendall Jenner have been spotted wearing silk sets beyond the bedroom and more recently, turning silk scarves into a much needed accessory.
9:00 AM: CHECK OUT – STEP OUT
Mules, kitten heels, and slides have dominated the searches and sales this summer for the most wanted sandal styles.
- The brands attracting the most attention are Chanel, Vagabond & Birkenstock. ‘Chanel sandals’, as repped by influencer Matilda Djerf throughout the summer, have been searched more than 7000 times in the last 2 months.
- Searches for ‘chunky sandals’ and ‘dad sandals’ are up 16% week on week.
Whether you’re on staycation at home, at the Four Seasons down the road, or at a cottage homestay a 1 hour drive away, Goxip can confirm you never need an excuse to dress up. Slaycay your staycay!